Here are some useful links we have come across on our quest for better provision for cycling. Also have a look at 'Our partners' for great local services and cycle assistance.
- Cycling and retail [pdf] UPDATED August 2013
- What we are asking for - clarifications to engineers [html]
- section in progress (policies on infrastructure design)
- Petition for Safe Cycling in Newcastle [html]
- Newcastle's 10 year programme (CCAF) [html]
- NewcastleGateshead 1Plan [pdf]
- Newcastle's 10 year cycle plan (2022) [pdf]
- Go Dutch ThinkBike workshop report [pdf]
Making the case for walking, cycling and car-restraint...
- Learning from others (European projects)
- Shoppers and how they travel LN02
- Retail vitality FF39
- More info sheets from Sustrans SORRY BROKEN LINK
- Cycling and the justice system (Jake Voelcker)
- CTC briefing sheet - Cycling and the economy
- Collection of Cycle Concepts
- UK Design CID LTN 2/08
- US Design NACTO
- UK Compendium of international practice - Cycling in the City
- European Commission - Reclaiming city streets for people
- Get Britain Cycling : Phil Goodwin’s full report
- Get Britain Cycling : Summary & Recommendations
- 'Understanding walking and cycling' (Final report, summary findings)
- The war on motorists: Myth or reality?
- Transport and the Economy by T&E
- Fairness in a car-dependent society by SDC
- Europe's Parking U-turn by ITDP
- Living Streets on pavement parking
- "City Cycling" 2012
John Pucher (Editor), Ralph Buehler (Editor)
ISBN-10: 0262517817 ISBN-13: 978-0262517812
Synopsis: Another academic assessment of what is required to get more people cycling. Another well-researched call for policies and infrastructure.
"The Energy Glut: The Politics of Fatness in an Overheating World" 2010
ISBN-10: 1848135181 ISBN-13: 978-1848135185
Synopsis: sustainable travel and unhealthy lifestyles are linked. More space must be given to active travel, and that's a political (not a personal) problem.
"Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)" 2009
ISBN-10: 0141027398 ISBN-13: 978-0141027395
Synopsis: Funny and eye-opening read on what happens when you get into a car and close that door...
"Beauty and the Bike" 2009
Darlington Media Group, Arts Centre, Vane Terrace, Darlington. DL3 7AX.
Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org
"Traffic Jam: Ten Years of Sustainable Transport in the UK" 2008
Iain Docherty (Editor), Jon Shaw (Editor)
ISBN-10: 1847420729 ISBN-13: 978-1847420725
Synopsis: Damning assessment of sustainable travel policy in the UK, political will and the road lobby.
"Car Sick" 2006
ISBN-10: 190399876X ISBN-13: 978-1903998762
Synopsis: Life without car overuse is possible. The majority is in favour for this to happen. We have to squeeze road space for car use, to provide better walking and safer cycling conditions.
Get in touch with your local council for routine cycling matters, cycle maps, improvement suggestions and general cycle information. Contact details taken from Cycle North East Brochure Summer/Autumn 2013
- Durham area
Phone: 03000 265 309
Phone: 0191 433 3108
Phone: 0191 277 8907
Phone: 01670 624 124
North Tyneside area
Phone: 0191 643 2115
South Tyneside area
Phone: 0191 424 7665
Phone: 0191 561 2450